Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sarah the Farmer

When I go out to the field to take John his lunch, I don't always know which tractor he's operating. From a distance, it's hard to tell who's driving. Most of the guys at Black Eagle are fairly close to the same height, so I'm used to looking through the window at a certain height, squinting my eyes to get a better view, trying to remember if John is wearing his baseball cap or his cowboy hat. But yesterday it was easy to tell who was in which tractor, because one driver was a much smaller person than the other. Sarah got to drive by herself for the first time! She's pretty pleased. She's been riding with John for a long time, and this year he let her take the wheel in the big tractor while he sat in the instructional seat (yes, Black Eagle has a fancy tractor) but yesterday he decided she was doing well enough he could turn her loose. So they squeezed in the little tractor together and he showed her how to run it. It's simpler than the big one, so she had no trouble at all with it. In no time she was "culti-packing" by herself.
Jennifer is proud of herself for being proud, and not jealous, of Sarah. Farming isn't really her thing anyway. She wants to play Lacrosse, ride bikes and walk Angel the border collie.
Jaeden and Dakota don't care what they do as long as it's fancy and dramatic.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love these pictures! And I'm jealous that Sarah can drive a tractor.

Jill said...

Jennifer is jealous too! Sarah may have more tractor hours than me, and she's driven a bigger tractor than I ever have.